Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Beginning to Elaborate


With a new year, I, like many am reflecting on ways better my process. I decided this was a good time to start documenting my work with a blog. My favorite part about hosting exhibitions is explaining to viewers my methods and thoughts behind the pieces that interest them. So I am attempting to recreate this experience in an online format for any who wishes to join in.

At my latest show, Fabricating Realities, the painting that I saw most attendees drawn to was "Couture Leopard." (right) I initially feared her patterning might cause a feeling of vertigo - fortunately, there was just enough difference in my painting of her dress and the real fabric in the background to create a graphic and dynamic juxtaposition.

You may notice if you are familiar with my work that there is something different about my subject - that she looks plastic. This is because I have recently taken interest in painting mannequins. She is one of three in my series so far. I will post photos of the other two and expand on my inspiration behind them soon. For those who prefer my paintings of real subjects, worry not - I have not given up on them. In fact, I am working on a new one now of a fellow artist - more on this later as well.

Till the next post,

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment