Tuesday, March 5, 2013

More than a feeling?

I recently did an interview with SCAT - which was wonderful, very receptive, great conversation flow. But at one point it was that brought up that I could be perceived as anti-consumerism. I didn't protest it at the moment, but it got me thinking. My stance is try to just be an observer, not a dictator of opinion for or against the perceptions we have. However, how do I personally feel about fashion? I think wearing a complementary outfit can give you an empowering, feel-good sensation. I think consumerism is important, clothing has the potential to bring out the best in you. It is that power, along with the other side effects that keep my interest.

But this topic is far from a black and white answer like that. I know that for some, getting dressed in the morning could be the hardest part of their day. There are those who are overwhelmed by the need to keep up on the latest fashions, sometimes driven to debt. There are others who are not allowed to express themselves via religious or social bindings. Not to mention, there is the ongoing pressure of body image to fit into the clothing correctly. In the end it is the feelings of the  individual and those of the onlookers that interest me more than my own opinions on fashion, but I do want to state for the record that my motives are not to bring down the department stores and return to hand woven attire - I tried that once, it was very time consuming!

What does fashion mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment